Sunday, October 01, 2006

Good Food Month in Sydney – get blogging!









(logo and photo from SMH website)






For the last nine years the main metropolitan broadsheet newspaper in Sydney has promoted October as 'Good Food Month' (GFM). While I think every month is good food month in Sydney, October is an organised food extravaganza for the eager gastronaut to negotiate. Every day offers a cornucopia of events drawing together producers, growers, restaurants, critics, commentators, and chefs. Too much for one girl to get through alone, although she will try her darndest. I’m sampling special menus at a variety of stellar restaurants, combing food districts for authentic ingredients, donning the apron for hands-on classes, and going to a selection of outdoor offerings. If only time and my budget could stretch further *sigh*.

That gave me an idea. Let’s pool our resources. All you Sydney food lovers will attend several GFM events, and if you’re bloggers you’ll write about them. So ... I’ll collate a link list of your posts each week so we can compare notes, go green with envy if we’ve missed an event, and generally celebrate the Sydney food landscape. Then people from other cities and countries can relish our experiences, get a vicarious kick from our culinary journeys, and see this cuisine-drenched city through our food-obsessed eyes. So spread the word!

If you want to participate just do the following:

  • Place a link to this post somewhere in your blogpost about a GFM event (that way people can get to the central list I collate each week and others who read your blog can contribute)
  • Send me an email to: rha9538(AT)bigpond(DOT)net(DOT)au that gives me your name, your blog’s name and a link to your post
  • Place a technorati tag at the end of your post for GFM06:

Send me as many posts about GFM as you like and we should end up with a mouthwatering list to browse. I’ll do a roundup list each Sunday in October that links to all the posts published during the week, then a full list at the end of the month.

If you read this or any other Sydney blog regularly but don’t write a blog yourself and would like to contribute your experiences, email me at rha9538(AT)bigpond(DOT)net(DOT)au with your contribution pasted into the text of an email (no attachments) with your name (as you’d like it to appear as the author of the post), a title for your post, and the name of the event you’re writing about. I’ll host them, with links, on a separate site.

The program came out last week and is available online here. Some events are already sold out, so book in quickly!

GFM October 1-7

GFM October 8-14

GFM October 15-21

GFM October 22-28

GFM Full report


Tagged with:

14 Comments:

Blogger Reb said...

.... think the same great thought :) Spread the word, Helen, I reckon it could be a killer list of fab food

8:27 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Great idea! Count me in :-)

1:15 PM  
Blogger deborah said...

great idea reb! i'm exhausted just thinking of all the events... but it's always such a fab way to enjoy spring.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Excellent Julia - I particularly want to see a post from you on the Gordon Ramsay lunch that I couldn't get into *sniff sniff*, (green with envy!) If you're friend bails out on you I'll buy the ticket no worries!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

I know what you mean Deb - I was listing off the things I was booked in for to a friend and rather overwhelmed myself with the prospect! CAn't wait to see your posts on what you go to as well.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a great idea! This is my first Good Food Month. Looking forward for some great posts!

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a fantastic idea! cant wait to see the posts!

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oOo.. fab idea! Count me in :-D

11:26 AM  
Blogger Reb said...

Thanks Swee, Chocsuze and Jen - looking forward to reading your adventures!

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great idea reb,
unfortunately I can't make the food & wine fair
I was thinking that we should have a sydney food bloggers excursion to the night noodle markets one evening...what do you think?

10:15 AM  
Blogger Reb said...

Sounds like a good idea - why not! There are quite a few dates to take advantage of it.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few of us are going to the Night Noodle markets next Wednesday night - meet at the fountain at 6pm :)

I'm definately looking closely at the gluten free options for GFM. I'll let you know how I go!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Thanks Tracey - that's fantastic! Would you like me to promote this in the weekly roundup? You could provide a contact point for people who want to meet up. I can't make it next Wednesday but I'm sure others surely might be up for it.

5:31 PM  
Blogger cc said...

Hi Reb, Just read your comment on my blog. This yr I won't be going to much, but I did manage to book a Hats Off @Guillaume at Bennelong. Will let you know when I've posted.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home