Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Happy Birthday to CucinaRebecca

Today I’m one.

A year ago on October 11, I fumbled through a clumsy post with scant description of the food and dopey fuzzy pictures of lunch at Sugaroom. You gotta start somewhere. When I look at what I’ve written and photographed in the past 12 months I think I can see a bit more organisation and dedication to my task. Although food and cooking have been a lifelong passion of mine, this is the first time I’ve indulged that obsession publicly. Although I partly write for a living, that sort of writing is academic and theoretical, rather than for whimsy or pleasure. My blog has given me the creative outlet to explore different forms of writing, which I’ve enjoyed immensely. And I hope I’ve given people some entertainment, practical advice, recipes and reviews along the way.

The help and encouragement I’ve received from you readers and other bloggers has also made me feel part of a community – and a very warm and happy community indeed. Even if you’ve never left a comment, thanks for reading. I know you’re out there. And for those of you who have taken the time so say hi, thank you for being motivated enough to give me feedback.

But special mentions are always necessary. Helen from GrabYour Fork, although she maintains a phenomenally energetic blog, is never to busy to give me help and advice, not to mention being a fun lunch companion. To all the bloggers who host events every month – I know it’s ultra hard work, but it builds many global connections. Well done. And all the people who regularly engage in back and forth discussions through comments and links to my blog (Ed, Neil, Deb, Ellie, Julia, Jules, Jen, Suze and heaps more besides) thanks for keeping the dialogue lively! And to everyone who bothers to keep a blog that includes food – keep going. I love reading all about your gastronomic adventures.

Anyway, they’ve started playing the music. I’d better get off now. Thanks again :)

Oh . … and I know you want the recipe for the cupcake

Chocolate Sponge Cupcakes with Peppermint Butter Cream Icing.
4 eggs
½ cup of caster sugar
1/3 cup plain flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking powder
50g melted butter

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Sift the flour baking powder and cocoa three times.
Place eggs and sugar in a deep bowl and using an electric mixer beat for about 10 minutes until the mix is pale and tripled in volume. Sift the flour and cocoa mix into the eggs and sugar in two lots, folding very gently with a metal spoon to combine but keep as much air as possible in the mixture. Fold through the melted butter. Fill cup cake papers (it’s easier to sit them in a 12 hole muffin pan) to about ¾ full and bake for 20 minutes or until the cakes are risen and spring back when lightly touched with the tip of your finger.

For the mint icing, mix ½ a teaspoon of peppermint essence with a tablespoon of softened butter and add 3 tablespoons of icing sugar gradually until you have a frosting consistency (you may need more or less icing sugar depending on the day, heat, and moisture content in the air).

18 Comments:

Blogger neil said...

And thanks to you reb for all the great posts it's been my pleasure to read. Yours is one food blogger friendship I value highly. Wow, one year old, tell me in the scheme of blogosphere things, is age kinda like dog years, one human year about seven dog ones, because it sure feels like that? Anyway, Hip, Hip, Hooray for you!!!

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Cucina Rebecca, well done!

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blog birthday Reb :D It has been an absolute pleasure reading your blog and getting to know and love you through your words and pictures! I look forward to what you may have for us in the future :)

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I remember it well.....sort of... the liquid lunch at Nicks on Friday followed by that particularly fuzzy lunch at Sugaroom on Saturday where, in true altruistic spirit, we emptied their cellars of Spy Valley Sauv Blanc to make room for more. Congrats on your first year. Happy Blogday!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Thanks Neil - isn't it nice when you find like minds geographically remote but really just a cable away? Blog years and dog years - there's a thought. I wonder how it equates?

Thanks food hog :) and thank you for reading. It's so nice to know someone's having a look very so often.

Thanks Kathryn - It's really a labour of love so I so enjoy it

Thankd Ellie - awwww.... there'll be plenty more in the future - I think I'm hooked.

Miss L ... you even remember the brand we drank dry *sniff* ... I remember the waiter kindly let me know he'd put away the last two bottles for us in case we needed more. What great service :)

3:11 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Happy blogiversary! Your blog is a daily pleasure and I look forward to reading (and getting hungry over) many more of your fabulous posts!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations and happy birthday reb! i look forward to reading many more of your hunger inducing posts!

5:03 PM  
Blogger PiCkLeS said...

Happy Birthday!! You've had me hooked ever since that 'pai gwut' post! It looks exactly like the one that my mum makes and I actually thought that you were chinese =)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Happy Blog Birthday! Looking forward to the next 24 months of more posts, more food and more fun.
I will now have to go and eat a cake in you honour.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Brilynn said...

Congradulations!
Food bloggers really do create a community atmosphere, don't they? It's a fun thing to be a part of.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Reb said...

Thanks Julia and Suze - I like making people hungry! I'll keeep trying to dream up new stuff to tempt you.

Wow pickles that is a compliment indeed. To make something considered so authentic!

Make sure you eat a second cake for me jenjen.

Thanks Brilynn - I think it's a great atmosphere. Who wouldn't be happy thinking about food all day?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Ange said...

Happy Birthday, I've very much enjoyed reading your blog over the last year! Keep up the good work

9:43 AM  
Blogger Reb said...

Thanks for reading and dropping in to say hi!

Hey Helen - credit where credit is due. And it's harder to blog if you eat alone :) Templates are like life: it just tends to get more complicated.

7:11 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Congratulations indeed. I've only recently discovered your blog but its been great reading.

I think blog years should apply. Since people update their blogs so often and you read and learn things about them, just reading for a few weeks already teaches you so much about that person.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Thanks Thanh7580. Maybe we could work out blog years by the number of posts?

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday cucina rebecca. hope you enjoy the cake!

2:08 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Blog year by the number of posts is a good idea. People such as yourself and Helen update so often that your blog year would be very high. I generally only do one or two posts a week.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Thanks Jules! The cake was yum and very very light.

That''s a disturbing thought Thanh7580 ... I think that makes me 100 or so in blog years ... :(

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home