Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hubris and the Hailstorm.

A cautionary tale.

Hubris is the ancient Greek sin of arrogance or excessive pride, the result of which is wanton violence. In literature, it’s usually applied to a protagonist who affronts the gods by flouting moral laws or prohibitions, eventually leading to a downfall as divine retribution. Pride coming before a fall. And such is my sin.

One day I’m thumbing my nose at the colder climes (deeply sorry, Melbourne) fannying about Sydney harbour, blowing its trumpet of perfect winter weather. The next day, well here you see my apartment courtyard looking more like an alpine village than a seaside resort. A massive and unexpected hailstorm hit Sydney just after 4 pm yesterday, the temperature dropped by 10 degrees in a few minutes from 21 to 11°C. And we were battered for 15 minutes with hail across the CBD.

As it piled up on my balcony and the rooftops, I atoned to the gods and apologised for my fair weather Sin City sins.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. It’s an average harbour and weather’s ok. And I’ve woken up with a head cold. Serves me right.

2 Comments:

Blogger neil said...

Your deep apology is accepted. No more picking on Melbourne and I will make sure your apartment is spared next time.

Sorry for the head cold, there is a bit of it going on down here too. If you develop the cough that goes with it, I will tell you the name of the best ever cough medicine.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Thank you Melbourne -- much appreciated *sniff sniff*

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home