Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Crème fraîche and chive blini with soft smoked trout

A yummy little entrée or finger food type thing, you can top these blini with whatever takes your fancy. I chose one of my all time favourite products – Tetsuya’s Soft Smoked Petuna Ocean Trout – which you can buy from good suppliers, but I tend to get it frozen from De Costi’s at the Sydney Fish Market. You can pretty well rely on them stocking it. I’m a bit fussy with smoked salmon, often finding it too oily and fishy, but this product is light, sweet and definitely not overpowering. A little goes a long way and I think it’s top of the class in this category. This recipe is adapted from one that appeared in Super Food Ideas using wholemeal flour. I like the taste of buckwheat much more and it’s more traditional for blini.

1 ¼ cups of buckwheat flour
1 sachet (8 grams) instant dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
200 g crème fraiche (at room temperature)
1 cup warm milk
3 eggs, separated
½ bunch of chives, snipped or finely chopped.

100g crème fraîche extra and 2 tablespoons of finely chopped dill.
1 x 200 g packet of Tetsuya’s Soft Smoked Petuna Ocean Trout

Mix the flour, yeast and sugar and make a well in the centre. Mix in the crème fraîche, milk and egg yolks and whisk to form a batter. Cover with cling wrap and set aside in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until the batter starts to bubbles on the surface and it has increased in volume by half. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the batter in two lots along with the chives. Heat a non stick pan with a little butter and drop small spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan, then flip over when one side is cooked.

Mix the remaining crème fraîche with the dill and top each blini with a spoonful, followed by a small piece of ocean trout. Serve with a grind of pepper and lemon wedges.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks divine... served with a flute of mimosa I'd be a pretty happy girl :)

12:03 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Thanks Deborah! But the salmon is really the star of this one. I was just providing the support act :)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Yeah, absolutely! And by pure coincidence the Good Living section of SMH has a recipe too this week! Blinis must be on the radar somewhere, but I just can't aford the caviar :(

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, certain foods just haunt you, lately blinis and also strawberry granita. I managed to find some caviar yesterday at my deli -$20 for a 340g bottle so will be giving these blinis a whirl on New Years day with a bottle of Salinger unless of course I find out what a mimosa is!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe, I tried it last night with great success!

I used whole buckwheat flour (which I presume you didn't, judging by the photo), and the results were good, but it took much longer than 1 hour to rise. I was in a hurry, so I cooked them anyway, and they were very good. The recipes made too much though, so about half was left till this morning, and it rose significantly over-night -- probably even a bit too much though, as the dough became very fragile and fell easily. Still, they were fluffier this morning than last night.

Anyway, I'll try them again some time, and I'll try allowing them about 2 or 3 hours to rise.

Thanks again -- it was very difficult to find a recipe for blini that didn't use wheat flour. Since I needed it to be gluten-free, it was a relief to find this recipe! :) I prepared some with smoked salmon and some with trout eggs -- delicious!

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home