Monday, February 27, 2006

Pai Gwut

Pai Gwut: Steamed black bean pork ribs

The sweet and succulent rib delicacies are usually served up as part of yum cha, but I see no reason to relegate them to a weeny part of a yum cha spread when I love them so much.

You can get any Chinese butcher to chop your ribs – ask them to chop then ‘for steaming’ and you’ll get the right size. If you do it yourself make sure you have a strong cleaver and chop them into bite size 1-2cm square pieces. I don’t know how authentic the following recipe is, but my god it tastes good!

For about 1 kg of chopped ribs, marinate for 30 minutes in a mixture of:

1 tsp chopped or grated garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1 red chilli, chopped
½ tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp corn flour (yes, tablespoons)
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp slated black beans, rinsed well and drained. I like to use ‘3 rings’ brand
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp shaoxing rice wine
1 tbsp soy sauce

Divide ribs and marinade into small bowls and steam for 30 -40 minutes until tender.

Serve as part of yum cha or with rice or noodles.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work! We did a yum cha feast yesterday incl said pai gwut. I think yours turned out better than ours, but we were pretty proud of our homemade fung jao phoenix claws (chicken feet).

4:53 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Well thanks for the compliment AG! I just adore these sweet little morsels (luscious fat and bone to chew on - maybe I was Asian in a previous life? ... or a viking) and I seem to need a regular black bean and ginger fix, at least once a fortnight. I've never tried phoenix claws - can you blog the recipe?

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home